Powered By Blogger

Monday 4 July 2011

A tale of two cities

On Thursday last, 31st June, I drove through the forested mountain passes to Khon Kaen, 300kms south of Sakon. The largest city in Issan and a maze of streets; and by good fortune I went blind up a side-street and fell into the 'Green View Place', a brand new hotel for 350 baht a night! I stayed two nights and grew accustomed to the streets. By city standards it was relaxing and to top it I indulged in big western breakfasts at Eric's Bar and in the evenings a bowl of hot, delicious ladna near the hotel. And in the evening relaxed with cable TV, AIR-CON, and a soft bed. On Saturday morning I headed north to Udon Thani, 160 kms away. I felt good; had eaten well, slept well, and had shoes and clothes repaired that had sulked on my list for way too long. I also dry cleaned my suit that had stood me in good stead along the length of China only a month ago.
Udon Thani, a US Airforce base in a previous war. now a bustling commercial city, is slightly smaller than Khon Kean.There is a rain storm when I arrive; the traffic is at a standstill; there are thousands of wet, stranded pedestrians standing about. Tomorrow is election day in Thailand; built up by the media to fever pitch. Alcohol sales stop at 6pm by order of the present government; thus the bars are shut and the bar I had anticipated with relish did not have the 'hot stew' on the menu. I am fed up, along with the other farang, so I leapt into the traffic and headed east out of town and stopped at McDonalds for my my final purchased wholesome western food. Then I drove 160 kms home; I was looking forward to my own bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment